Monday, April 15, 2013

A Mother's Day Card Challenge!

Good morning, Flockinstas! Melissa, here, with your latest installment of scraptacular fun.

I don't know about you, but I'm always trying to find new ways to use products that I may not have ever really tried before. My only hitch is that if I don't make myself a little mini challenge, those products might not ever get used. Enter my personal challenge for this month with supplies from the Flamingo Scraps store!


Supplies pictured:


Also used:
Kraft cardstock base
Heidi Swapp Vintage Chic Handwritten (for the butterfly) 
Xcut Dies Butterflies (available special order from Flamingo Scraps)
Generic Brown Embroidery Floss

I had to prepare a couple of things for this self challenge... first, I had to cut the butterflies with my Cuttlebug and the Xcut Dies. I'd never used this particular brand of dies before (I've not used most of the dies in my collection, to be honest, because I got my Silhouette not long after procuring my Cuttlebug), but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it cut. I highly recommend it and you should contact Suzanne to order one if you were otherwise on the fence about it. I can see myself making many, many cards with this particular set! I also inked the edges of each piece with the brown chalk ink before gluing them together.

Next, I had to prepare the tape. I love that Flamingo Scraps carries both solid white fabric tape (it handles a little differently than the paper version that I've used on previous projects, and I think it takes ink better than my generic masking tape) and Prima Washi Tape Stamp sets, because I would swear that they were made for each other. The tape is slightly narrower than the stamp, and the stamp is super easy to repeat. Here's a look at it up close:


As you could probably tell by the fact that I picked out some kraft card bases, I wanted to make some cards. I decided that I should get a jump on Mother's Day, so picked that as my theme. I tried to use each item in a different way, but that didn't always work out. However, I think I came up with a nice variety to share with you!

For this first one, I really wanted to try using the embroidery floss as a hanger for my greeting. And if you're worried about the pin sticking someone, you can do like I did and snip the tip off with a set of wire cutters and then sand it down a bit to dull it.  I also cut the tape into leaves to put under the flower, as well as using it as a border.


On the next one, I decided I wanted to use the embroidery floss as scallops and have the butterfly look like it was trying to land on the flower. 


For the third one, I scallop punched the back and used only the grid side of the Just Dots paper. I also wanted my flower to come from the other side, so I had to trim down the stem of the flower to accommodate my design. I also poked the pin through the flower and tried to treat it like I would a corsage. I also trimmed the pin down and sanded the edge on it to make it shorter for the same reason as I did the flower, and tied the embroidery floss around the pin.


And this final card, I popped the butterfly off the card with adhesive foam and tied the flower with the embroidery floss. 


So, there you have it! Sometimes limiting your supply list for multiple projects to the same items is the quickest and easiest way to both get them done and find ways to be creative with your supply use. 

Have a fabulous, flocky day!
 
Melissa

6 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails