Wednesday, May 2, 2012

12 years ago...

Twelve years ago we were scrapbooking with stickers, using dictionary definitions on EVERYTHING, most layouts were "blocked", No one had ever heard of layering, flowers, or even Prima! GASP! How on Earth did we survive? 

My daughter graduates this month from high school, and I've been walking down memory lane, and thought I would take you guys on the journey with me this week.

This is a layout I did of my daughter with her kindergarten graduation photos. Her Kindergarten teacher was the BEST - Mrs. Murphy, and her favorite quote was from "All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum. 

It is so much fun to look back at the older layouts. Actually sometimes I find it refreshing when I see how clean they were.  It was a simpler time for scrapbooking. 


The 3D styled elements on this page were printed on the DaisyD stickers. The wire and "ABC" on the left of the title - printed. The buttons on the photo frame - printed. When I tell you this layout was flat - it is FLAT!  The most advanced element for the time on this page were the snaps on the definition page. I didn't know it then, but this page was actually hybrid.  The title, teacher's name, and definition were all printed on my computer. The Jolee's stickers were all the rage and the trendy thing to add to every layout.

This week I created this layout of my daugther in her senior cap & gown photos. And let me tell you some tears were shed over this one. 


From Flamingo Scraps: Prima: Printery paper, Valentine Vine - White, Printery Chipboard, Printery Canvas Resists, Resin - bridge, Wooden Clock, Wooden Banner, Say It in Lace & Pearls Boarder; Maya Road: Wooden Ruler, Melissa Frances Resin Frame; Crocheted Lace, Eyelet Lace, Tattered Angeles - Glimmer Mist - Jack Frost.  Other: Twine, Doily Dies from MFT, Golden Texture Paste.

It was fun to compare the two layouts side by side and see how much my style had changed.  I still prefer 1 photo to a layout, however, notice how this layout has more texture, and dimension.  Gone are the days of the DaisyD stickers, and yes, Prima is front and center of the current "Must Haves" list.  

I heard someone say the other day that they wanted to redo some of their older layouts.  I say "no way". When a layout is created, it is not just a reflection of the memory that you are sharing, but also of the creator (at the time) and the styles of the day.  You are creating the looks that our children will embrace as "vintage".  Only look back to remember the journey - never to recreate.

 I wonder what names and styles will be around when she graduates from college?

Thanks for joining me today,

3 comments:

  1. I love seeing the two layouts and how much your style has changed as a scrapper (and how much your daughter has changed)! Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful Tonya!!! and thanks for taking us on your trip down memory lane!!!! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the two layouts. I to have layouts like this.Great work!!!!!!! Love Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails