Melissa, here, on what will be my tenth wedding anniversary! But, on to the real reason I'm posting about my anniversary on the Flamingo Scraps blog. Well, the answer is simple. My husband has been bugging me for just as long to make a clean and dirty sign for the dishwasher, so that we can know whether it needs to be run or if it needs to be unloaded to make room for more dishes. I figured having it on our anniversary will be a wonderful gift to him.
So, here's what I came up with:
It really looks way more simple than it went together, let me tell you! I started with a chipboard base, like what comes in a paper pack or when you receive scrapbook supplies in the mail from... well... Flamingo Scraps, of course. I cut it down to 6x6 and then painted it with gesso on both sides. At that point, I wasn't really sure what direction I was going. I didn't need to paint both sides, obviously, but I did have to wait for it to all dry. Next I took some Tim Holtz Distress Paint in Broken China, special ordered from Flamingo Scraps, and painted about an inch in on each side and let that dry. I then coated the entire thing with paper Mod Podge, and placed a 5.5x5x5 square of paper from the Pink Paislee Hope Chest collection down and then painted over it all again with Mod Podge, then left it to dry overnight.
The next morning, I did some masking with Prima masks, first the Static 12x12 over the whole thing, using Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Georgia Peach and then with the Checkers 12x12 mask in Tropicana Teal. Both masks are available via special order from Flamingo Scraps! Next, I got out some old foam stamps and used my Tim Holtz Distress Paints (available special order) in Walnut Stain and Spiced Marmalade to make the clean/dirty combo.
I lined each of the stamped letters with black ink and then distress Stickles to make them stand out a little better.
Last, I poked holes a quarter inch off center on each side and strung some Maya Road twine through it and tied it in a bow. Then, just for some extra dirt on the dirty side, I took a distress stamp in my stash and some black distress ink and added a bit to the edges. Now all it needs is some magnets stuck to the back (I'm going to let the Mod Podge set for another night because it was all still a little tacky as I was finishing up), and it can be flipped as needed.
So there you have it! Hope you have a wonderful day!
Until next time,