Saturday, December 18, 2010

Weekend Whimsy: Christmas Traditions and Memories

My mother calls me the keeper of traditions in our family and I love that role!  Especially at Christmas!  This year I got this ornament display tree and was able to showcase all the ornaments I have collected over the last 35 or so years!   Nearly every ornament on my tree marks an occasion, or a trip, or was given to me by friends or family, and every year when I get them out the house is flooded with wonderful memories!  I also decorate with several items that are traditions I carry on from my grandmother!


My ornament display tree!
 
An ornament from 1979 I got when I was volunteering
at the Robert Mills House during grad school

The ornament marking my first Christmas in my present home on "Carr" Street

A voodoo doll I got while at a conference in New Orleans

The ornament marking the year I became a Master Gardener

Florida ornament that has been on trees in NC, SC, and NJ!

String of chili peppers I picked up while working in Taos, NM

Carrying on a tradition of my Granny's -- ribbon candy in her Christmas Tree jar


One of my most treasured possessions, a handmade angel that
graced my grandmother's mantel for as long as I can remember
Scrappers and paper crafters tend to be keepers of traditions and memories -- what are some of the special holiday traditions you keep for your families???  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. I love traditions. My Mother says I like them because I hate change. But I agree with you. The Nostalgia gets me all fuzzy inside. When my sister and I were 8 & 9 we openned our "Big" gift on Christmas Eve (despite Mom & Dad telling us not to) our punishment was that ever Christmas from then on we had to wait until Breakfast was over before we could open a gift or play with Santa. At Age 40 I still follow that tradition. NO GIFTS TIL AFTER BREAKFAST! I think it builds on the anticipation! Merry Christmas Flamingo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you sentimental thing you!!! I love your ornament tree and that ribbon candy brings back memories too!
    A tradition that we have is that only one gift gets opened at a time. You have to wait your turn and watch the other person open their gift first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwwwwwwwww! Your ornaments are BEAUTIFUL!! We have a tradition of going out and seeing Christmas lights every year! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Most of my beloved ornaments were ruined in 2005 when the live tree we'd cut sapped all over them. I was able to wash and salvage a few, but most had to go in the garbage. It was truly heartbreaking. I was pregnant at the time and already plenty emotional. I've chosen to focus on a positive: there's plenty of room on the tree for the ornaments Trevor has made. One of these years I'm going to do a LO about why we now have an artificial tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love traditions at Christmas! So sad for you Cindy :( Every year I buy a collectible ornament from Hallmark for my best friend Annie's kids and my nephew (& now niece!). I started them each out with a series and collect the next in the series for them each year. The older they get, the more they love the tradition! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails