Thursday, July 1, 2010

Christmas in July: Button Tree

Welcome to our first Thursday Christmas in July post.  We hope you enjoy this series and will play along with us this month!!   When I first saw this button tree several years ago, I ran right out and bought a 9" styrofoam cone to make my very own.  Of course, here I am almost four years later, just now making it!! :)

From Flamingo Scraps: Maya Road star trinket pin, beaded lace trim
Other supplies: corsage pins, red buttons from the stash and a 9" styrofoam tree
Directions found here.

I started off by covering the styrofoam with a scrap of white fabric and some fabri-tac adhesive.  Then, I just pinned the buttons on the tree!  I started with larger buttons first and filled in empty space with extra corsage pins.  Took about two and a half boxes of corsage pins and a bunch of buttons from my stash.

I finished the top of the tree off with one of the new Maya Road Star Trinket pins, which was the perfect size star for the top of a 9" styrofoam cone.


And to finish off the bottom of the tree I used some fabulous trims from the store.



This was super easy, a lot of fun and definitely not as time consuming as I thought it might be.  I found it was pretty easy making it from all one color of button (I think it would be much more time consuming if you used a variety of colors).  I can't wait to display it at Christmas time!  

Have you ever made a button tree or do you have one?  If so, I would love to see it!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! I made one of those as a kid, using large sequins instead of buttons. Fun! It's somewhere in my parents' house right now, waiting for December to make its annual appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I loveeeeeeeeeeeee this!!!! WOW!!!! It is GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW this is truly so creative! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails