Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Christmas Mixed Media Canvas

Good morning, Flock!
My name is Genie Smith, and I live in Michigan with a husband, two daughters, two cats, a dog, and a few fish. I'm honored to be part of Flamingo Scraps' GDT for the month of July, and I look forward to sharing my Christmas projects with you and also seeing what the other designers will do next!
For my first project, I made a mixed media canvas. This project was inspired by Christy Tomlinson, and uses a 12x24 canvas.
 
For this project, I used the Traditional holiday kit from the Big Pink Bargain Bin, Color Shine mist in Teal, Mustard, and Sweet Cherry, Pink Paislee/Christy Tomlinson vintage doily mask, a little bit of white paint, some We R Memory Keepers baker's twine, Prima wooden accents, modelling paste, and lots of Mod Podge. There are also a couple of inexpensive paper doilies in there.
I don't really have a method to my madness, although I do like to start a canvas by laying down a few layers of paper (in this case, the Pink Paislee Collage sheets and the paper doilies). I used some Color Shine to tint my white paint and then used bubble wrap to apply it. I used modelling paste with the doily mask to create some fun texture, and then layered on A LOT of Color Shine.
                                   
 
Once I was happy with my background, I cut a few pieces of various green patterned papers in half (so I had 6x12" pieces) and started tearing my strips. I used various widths and didn't try to control my ripping very much. For each paper layer, I used Mod Podge to affix it, and then more on top to keep it down. I didn't wait for my background to dry, and I love how the paint and mists mixed into the Mod Podge on top of my tree layers.
 
Finally, it was time to embellish. I used Color Shine on the wooden embellishments and Mod Podge to hold down the twine. I waited until morning, when the canvas was dry, to attach the brads.
I hope you are inspired to make some Christmas decor of your own. There's nothing more fun than getting your fingers covered in paint and Mod Podge while your canvas comes to life!
 
Merry Scrapping !!
Genie

4 comments:

  1. Genie this is so cute!! Love all your textures on your canvas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute canvas Genie!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just Beautiful Genie!!! Welcome to the Flock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. jaw on the floor goodness great canvas love all the details. welcome to the flock!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails