Friday, July 26, 2013

July Flamingo Four

It's time for July's Flamingo Four!  This month, three other designers and I worked with these items:
 

                               1) Pink Paislee Mistables patterned paper
                               2) Pink Paislee Mistables die cut card
                               3) Empty Maya Road spool
                               4) Pink Paislee "Nantucket" wood shapes


Erin's Take

This past April I got both of my boys a scooter and they LOVED them.  In the pictures you can see my boys, Morgan in front in orange and Brandon in the back, scooting down the sidewalk in front of our house as I sit in the front yard grass with Catherine enjoying a beautiful spring day.

I used the resist paper as my background, adding in orange and teal mist to pop out the colors.  Then I layered the cut-off tops of the trim reel (painted with gesso and misted orange) along with some of the wooden parts and the journaling tag under the pictures with a few added flowers.  I used the wooden words and arrow and misted them in the same teal color to match the paper.  I then wrote the journaling on the same teal color in cardstock to bring it all together.  The journaling says "Bruised hands, scraped knees, falling off, running into stuff, the wind in this face, laughter, and endless moments of fun with their first scooters.  They played until the heat of Texas summer set in, then they moved to scooting indoors in our hallways.  What fun these scooters have been in 2013."



Ramona's Take

This month’s supplies really stumped me.  After throwing several ideas around I decided on a old film canister.  First, I applied gesso to the spool and then painted it black.  I cut the filmstrip on the Silhouette.  I added 24 black and white pictures, sized 2 inches.  Over the photos I put pieces of sheet protector (also cut to 2 inches) and applied with score tape before adding the photos so it would actually look like film itself.


Here is a picture of the film canister closed with magnets.   I used the wood pieces from Pink Paislee to close it up.


Here is how the film rolls out of the canister to reveal the photos.  This could easily taken 48 pictures, but I wanted to save the back to add my other nephew Chase’s pictures to it.


This picture shows the fourth item from the Flamingo Four kit, the journaling card.


This shows the canister open from the top.  You just pull the filmstrip out and then have to roll it back up when done looking at the pictures.

Other products I used not included in the kit are: black cardstock, Tim Holtz Distress Paint Honey Mustard, sheet protectors, Dot Magnets and washi tape.


Melissa's Take

I spray painted the spool silver to start, and drilled holes into the saucer part of the spool. From there, I strung beading twine to create the hanging portion of the mobile and then glued the same twine, wrapped up the middle of the spool. I inked the resist tag and paper with Prima chalk inks in beachy colors. Then, I glued the tag over the wrapped twine in the middle and affixed the "explore" portion of the wood embellishment, along with the wooden star and some regular miniature seashells. Next, I colored all of the wood pieces with the same colors of Prima chalk inks and tied them to the twine, at the bottom. They needed more weight, so I took complimentary colored beach glass, wrapped it in twine and glued it above each of the wooden pieces. For the paper, I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut seashells, glued them back-to-back, and tied them to the remaining two twine strings. To space out the twine a bit more, I took heavy gauge beading wire and made a woven circle with it. 





Cindy's Take

When I saw these four items, the old Sesame Street song ran through my head: "One of these things is not like the others...."  Clearly, the tricky items this month would be the empty spool. I set it aside.  I dug through my extra photos looking for something summery and beachy.  I found a picture from 2010 of my husband and our son holding hands at the beach.  Perfect!  
I picked a sea star from the wood shapes and sprayed it with the last of my Clam Bake Glimmer Mist from the November Flamingo Four.  The color and the shimmer were just what I'd hoped for.  While it was drying, I used my hands to smear gesso on the patterned paper, then wiped it with a sandy brown paint and let it dry.  Next, I mixed light blue paint with some glittery paint and dipped the end of the spool in the mixture and stamped it onto the paper repeatedly.  It turned out exactly as I'd envisioned!  I tore the die cut card and layered it with a scrap of dark blue vellum and some grayish handmade (by someone else) paper and put the photo on top.   
After adhering everything, the final step was to add a title and an additional embellishment.  I found a Mrs. Grossman's "love" sticker and inked it to match the sea star, then paired it with a Scenic Route rub-on.  I added a second Scenic Route rub-on, a heart, to the left of the photo.


That wraps up another fun Flamingo Four! We'd love to see your take. If you make something using the same four supplies as our designers, send us a picture and we'll feature it here on the blog. To find the materials we used (and so much more!) visit the Flamingo Scraps store!

2 comments:

  1. These are all REALLY AMAZING this month!! Great job ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love everyone's takes this month - always so cool to see each one!! Great job to all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails