Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Christmas On Canvas - Cheryl


Hi! I'm Cheryl Glass Arbo, and I'm happy to be a Guest Design Team member this month to help Flamingo Scraps celebrate their Christmas in July event. When Suzanne asked me if I'd like to participate, I didn't hesitate to say "YES" ! I've been scrapping for about 15 years, have been married to my best friend for 36 years, and have two beautiful granddaughters who call me "Gamma". I'm a little bit Yankee, a lot Southern, and have been living in the wild west of Fort Worth, Texas since last September. For this project I chose the Christmas In July Kit - Traditional


 



 I started off by putting a layer of Gesso onto a 12x12 canvas with on old paint brush and let that dry overnight.



I trimmed 2" off each piece of the double-sided papers and cut them again in a variety of sizes from 5" down to 1/2". I used twelve rolled strips for the tree and one additional square piece for the trunk. Using a narrow paint brush I rolled each piece of paper around the paint brush barrel to get it curled tightly. I then removed it from the brush, and then keeping it tightly rolled, I glued the back edge of the paper closed. I then laid all pieces on top of my canvas in the form of a Christmas Tree and glued them down.



Once it was complete, I laid my full sheet of designer paper over the top of the tree and using my fingers, I  found the three edges of the tree and using my craft knife I cut through the paper from the middle of the tree top, down to the bottom and then along the bottom edge of the tree. I opened the paper, rolled it back to the canvas, and used two brads to secure it.




I layered two chipboard snowflakes and used another brad to secure them together from the Echo Park Holly Jolly Christmas Decorative Brads pack.

     

 Next, I cut squares and rectangles to make the gifts and topped them with pieces of narrow ribbon.


 I cut the 2013 using two circled numbers from the paper collection, along with the Santa's  list from the collection using the sticker alphabets and numbers.


I scattered  the chipboard pieces from the Echo Park Layered Chipboard Season's Greeting pack on the canvas





Last ,I used a dark brown ink to edge the gifts, the green drape on both sides of the tree, and all sides of the canvas.

I really enjoyed working on canvas for this project and I LOVED playing with this nice collection of papers, chipboard pieces, and brads. I had tons of papers and goodies leftover and will use more from this collection on my next post.  I hope I have inspired you to get started on YOUR Christmas in July! Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous Cheryl!!! So sorry about the posting glitches, but it is soooooo worth waiting for!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Suzanne! I had a blast and look forward to my second project on the 31st. I think the posting will be much easier the second time around! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this canvas and my favorite is the tree!! What a fun project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ramona! First time playing with canvas......I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! So fun for the season!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails