Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cracks and Shine



I have had a number of people ask me what the difference is between the Crackle Glossy Accents, the Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint, and the Rock Candy Distress Stickles.

First off, let me say that the Distress Stickles, are that....Stickles.  They are a type of glitter glue.  Distress Stickles are different from the regular Stickles in that they are made to cover larger areas, not to do fine work.

I hope these photos can help you determine the differences.


I started with three flowers cut from patterned paper.


I covered each with a different medium.  I do not like to use the tip of my applicator to spread the glues as I find it clogs the tip. For the Stickles, I use my finger, for the Crackle Glossy Accents, I used a brush.


I let each dry.  The Distress Crackle Paint dries the fastest.  Followed by the Crackle Glossy Accents, and finally the Stickles.

In the end, you can see that they all have a nice shine.


The Stickles has much more glitter than the other two.


The Crackle Glossy Accents have larger cracks, and while being quite shiny doesn't have the glitter of the Stickle.

And finally, the Distress Crackle Paint

It has small cracks, and not quite as much sparkle as the Stickles.

They all work great on your projects and each can be used for different things.  When the Crackle Glossy Accents dry, they become fairly stiff, while the Distress Crackle paint reminds fairly pliable.  So that, or the size of the crack may help you make the determination as to which of those products to use.  I usually only use the Stickles on smaller pieces as you could quickly go through an entire bottle if you coated large areas.

And finally, these aren't the flowers I showed above, but I did cover the large raised flowers with the Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paints on this Prima Pastiche layout of my daughter.

Flamingo Scraps Products Used:  Prima Pastiche Patterned Flower and Glitter Cardstock Stickers, Prima Mini Roses,Fairytale Roses,Eline Pearls,  Maya Road Olivia Chipboard Alphabet, Maya Road Deep Brown Ink, Maya Mist Cotton Candy, Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint, 


Hugs.

Nancy

5 comments:

  1. Wow! The 3 are so different! Hmmm... Now i obviously have to buy all three! Gosh! Thanks nancy you are such an enabler!!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC Nancy!!! And that LO is GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 out of the 3 and never use them!!! LOL Maybe now I will because of this super cool tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this comparison - I'm using cackle accents for the first time, and this is good to know. I coated some jewelry blanks with crackle accent yesterday. Can you tell me why some pieces crackled very nicely and others only crackle in places? I don't know if it is related to thickness, the surface being coated, the relative flexibility of the surface, or what? Any insight would be appreciated. I know this is a really old posting, but I saw a reference to it on another site and looked it up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails