Friday, August 13, 2010

Guest Blogger Tonya Gibbs: Steampunk Debutante Canvas

Tonya Gibbs
I am so excited to have this opportunity to be a guest blogger for my dear friends at Flamingo Scraps.  I met Suzanne and Susan through a mutual friend about three years ago, and instantly fell in love with their style.  I am a true addict of all things shiny and colorful, and their store is full of all of it.  Flamingo Scraps are definitely enablers for my addiction!

I married my high school sweetheart 20 years ago and we have two beautiful teenagers, Brittany and Brighton.  I'm a web designer at the University of Florida Foundation and a photographer.  I attended the University of Florida where I studied Fine Arts (Go Gators)!  I spend a lot of my spare time volunteering for not-for-profit, kid-oriented organizations.  These kids have dubbed me Psycho Mom and I've truly embraced it.  I opened a scrapbook store and named it Psycho Moms, I was very sad when I had to close it due to health problems.
I have been a crafter my entire life, from ceramics to crocheting, I've done it all.  My love for scrapbooking began in high school, and it has been fun to watch the evolution of my pages.  Recently, I've noticed I've been migrating from the traditional scrapbooking to wall canvases and mini albums.  These types of projects allow me to use the techniques I learned in Fine Arts.  I'm all about getting dirty when I craft!

I fell in love with Graphic 45's Steampunk Debutante the minute I saw it.  When Suzanne told me Flamingo Scraps was ordering it, I was so excited!  Trust me, you will not want to cut this paper it is so rich.  The weight of the paper is awesome, the colors vibrant, the theme whimsical and fun.  Inspiration oozes from the pages.

When I think steampunk, my mind goes to the industrial revolution.  Debutante instantly makes me think of a woman.   For me, my family is what makes me tick.  They are who I am and what I live for.  So for me, the Steampunk Debutante is a strong woman whose complex make-up is her family.
Steampunk Debutante Canvas by Tonya
In the above photo, I created my Steampunk Debutante from the G45 paper.  Her dress is made from acrylic to which I added alcohol ink and bead gel.  The dress is decorated with Prima swirls, broken watch parts and metal roses.  The dress is attached to a 6 x 12 inch piece of chipboard with Tim Holtz grungeboard hinges and a button closure.  Inside the glass door you can see the gears and family that make up this Debutante.  The girl was taken from the G45 paper and I wanted to enhance the mechanical flow by adding metal parts.  Prima's Caravan Oasis flowers were made for this collection!  I also used Chocolate Prima Say It In Pearls, metal roses, a stick pin and another G45 tag.
Close up Front of Dress
Close up of Top

As you open the dress/door, the gears are exposed.  The gears were cut from my Cricut with the Accent Essentials and Indie Art Cartridges.  Each gear has a photo of a member of my family.
With the Front Fanned out

The entire piece is mechanical.  Each gear is attached with a brad, has bead gel on the edges for texture and is painted to match the patina aged metal.
Close up of Gear

There are photos on both sides of the gears.
View of Back Fanned out


All Fanned out
For a complete walk through of this project watch this video:


Thanks for looking!
Tonya Gibbs Signature
http://www.psychomoms.com/

12 comments:

  1. Flamingo Scraps is truly honored and privileged that Tonya chose us for her debut! Tonya, your Steampunk Debutante Canvas Album is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya told me about this over the phone -- but I couldn't, in my wildest dreams, have imagined how stunning and innovative her piece would be -- Thanks Tonya -- you are truly a gifted artist! (Suzanne)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work, I just had to stop and say WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Tonya!!! This is AMAZING!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the way the gears come up with the photos on them!!! WOW! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how creative you are! The flowers and crystals look FAB!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous artwork! All the elements are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow is all I can say - all the special details make this just amazing, I am so glad I got to see this creation you shared.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely stunning! love all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome project! I linked to your inspirational post in today's daily scrapbook news article at http://exm.nr/aQwlFW :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tonya, your Steampunk project is STUNNING! There are so many beautiful details - very, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one amazing album!!! I love every detail and the gears--WOW-awesome idea!
    This is such a masterpiece!!
    Thanks for the heads up Susan-I would hated to miss this treat!
    xoxo CAri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails