Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Because 3 is a Magic Number...

Three it's a magic number
Yes it is, it's a magic number
Because two times three is six
And three times six is eighteen
And the eighteenth letter in the alphabet is R
We've got three R's we're going to talk about today
We've got to learn to
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle


I just love this song by Jack Johnson!  It gets stuck in my head all the time so I thought I'd blog a bit today on scrapbooking and recycling and some alternative sources for scrapping materials.

Amanda knows the value of reusing........Here is an altered snack box that Amanda blogged about some time ago.

Do you ever go to Lowe's or Home Depot with scrapping on your mind?  Suzanne and I love to shop at home improvement stores for some fun scrappy supplies.  Drywall tape can be inked and used on a layout.  It's a fabulous embellishment and it's got adhesive on the back!
I used two pieces of drywall tape on this LO.  One is just above the photo and the other in the lower right corner.  I also unraveled the drywall tape in the lower corner
Or how about fishing swivels?  You know those little brass things that you attach your bobber or sinker to?  They are great for hanging charms on your project.  Keys, hinges, washers are all great elements to sand, distress, ink and add to those Steampunk projects.

Next time you buy some new clothes, be sure you look at the clothes tag with a discerning eye before you rip it off.  Many time clothes tags are cut in interesting shapes and can be gessoed and painted and then embellished.

Prima Marketing changed their packaging a few years ago and has been advocating reusing their packages.  This Prima blog is all about going green with Prima.
Prima Packaging
 Here's a video of Prima Marketing's Cari Fennell demonstrating a mini album using Prima packaging

Now I know you are asking yourself, why would a scrapbook store show me ways to reuse and recycle?  Aren't they in business to make money?  Well, yes we are.  But we also realize they most folks are on a budget and we hope that if we can share some ideas to stretch your scrapping dollars, you'll come and shop with us with some of those dollars you saved.  Won't you leave us a comment on ways you make your scrapping budget go farther?

7 comments:

  1. Great tips! I love to use the packaging from my scrappy supplies. The plastic can be used for stamping on and embossing etc. to make cute embellies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I save everything! When my son outgrows his pajama bottoms, I cut them into shorts and then save the fabric--which is totally cute with characters and sports--and will use it later on his pages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Janet Z for becoming our 100th blog follower! Send your snail mail address to flamingoscraps@yahoo.com and we will send you a little RAK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee to reuse!!! I save old shirts and use them on pages...and since I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee making wall hangings ... I use old placemats for them! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have actually used the Prima packaging on a layout & love the way it looked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are three of my favorite words...love to re-purpose more then anything else.
    I also am getting a nice pile of those Prima tags and just waiting for something to inspire me to use them.
    Great post sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a single mom on a budget and unemployed! I look for lots of ways to save money on my scrap goodies. I love using the paint chips at Home Depot to make tags! I have a couple of YT videos called money-saving tips! Thanks for the cool tips you have!:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails