Sunday, May 23, 2010

Scraptathlon Challenge - Week # 2

Our song inspiration for this week's challenge was Elton John's Border Song.  The challenge?  Create a layout with a minimum of four different borders.  The Scraptatheletes went to town and came up with some unique borders!  One Scraptathelete used journaling as a border!

Susan's layout this week was Gulf Sunset.  Here's what Susan had to say about her layout....

I have been jonesing to use some Webster's Pages Seaside Retreat collection in a layout.  This week's challenge was the perfect opportunity to satisfy my yearning.  I was inspired by Webster's Pages Design Team member Amy Tara Koeppel's layout, "One of the 7 Wonders".  I used the Seaside Retreat vellum sheet for the base.  It was a little scary when I crumpled up the vellum but it added dimension when I smoothed it out and sewed it with a zig-zag stitch to a piece of Bazzill cardstock - Border #1 complete!  I used two other papers from Seaside Retreat:  A Seahorse's Legend and Far and Away.  I used both sides of the papers for photo mats and punched a seashell border along the edge of one - Border #2 complete!  I used two different Seaside Retreat Fabric Ribbons for Borders # 3 and # 4 then I finished up by adding some embellishments in the lower left corner.  I actually managed a 5th border for good measure - it's some pretty crocheted lace from Prima at the bottom of the photo of my daughter.   Many thanks to my dear friend Andy for the Seahorse!  She used one of her Cricut cartridges and made Seahorses for all us Cropulators this year at St. Augustine Beach.

Flamingo Scraps products used:  Webster's Pages Seaside Retreat Collection - Vellum, Papers, Fabric Ribbons and Fancies, Webster's Pages Bloomers in Petal and Berry, Prima Marketing Tres Jolie Vines, Bling and Lace, Maya Road Trinket Pins - Hearts and Crystals.  Other supplies used:  Bazzill cardstock and K & Co. Seashell Embellishments.

Amanda's layout this week was Scarlet.  Here's what Amanda shared about her layout......

As soon as I saw the challenge posted, I knew exactly what I wanted to do!  I've been hoarding my Pink Paislee Queen Bee for just the right projects.... dying to use my new-ish Martha Stewart Loopy punch (I can't call it new because it's been in the house for months!).... and I had an extra copy of this picture of our dog Scarlet just waiting to be used!  Combine with a Sketchy Thursday sketch and viola!  This layout will be framed and hung in our house! As for my four borders... the first is the die cut paper for this line (gorgeous paper!!); the second is the loopy edge punched grey + yellow patterned paper; the third is the black patterned paper punched using the threading water punch from fiskars; and the fourth is the small yellow strip punched out with the small scallop heart punch.  I outlined everything with a pen, handcut my "leaves" to my flower and added my title.  The flower was made by cutting a scallop strip out with the cutterpede and gluing/folding it down to make a bigger flower-like base for my white primas.

From Flamingo Scraps:  pink paislee Queen Bee collection patterned papers, Webster's alpha stickers, Prima e-line pearl swirl (swirl, dragonfly + butterfly -- all one set!), Prima e-line pearls & crystals (center of flower) and Prima white flowers
Other supplies:  Martha Stewart loopy punch and small scallop heart punch, Fiskars threading water punch, cutterpede scallop edge, fine tip black sharpie pen


Would you like to see what all the other Scraptathletes did ?  Here's a link to the Scraptathlon Gallery.  Leave them some love by way of commenting on their work!

PS from Susan......Amanda's not about to brag on herself, so I will!  She took first place this week in both the neighbor's poll AND the judges poll!  Congratulations Amanda - YOU ROCK!

Happy Scraps to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails