Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Birthday Hat

When we got the party supplies for my daughter's first birthday I came across the cutest party hat, it had a flower and feathers and it was all in pink with party girl written on it.  My mother looked at me and said I could so make that, so I did, but in my own way.



I first used a store-bought party hat as my template, so I opened it up and traced the hat shape on cute patterned paper and cut it out. I then glued it to the original hat for more support, plus it already had the chin band on it to keep it on your head.


I then layered on tons of different trims from Maya Road and Websters.  I loved the hot pink idea, not soft pinks, so I just played with the fun pinks, white, and black.


I started at the bottom and placed a Maya Road Tutu tulle in Hibiscus Pink and added the Websters Ruffled Bloomers on top to add more pop along the bottom of the hat.


I added a filter paper doily that I misted to match the colors of the trim under the Maya road Organza flower trim in the middle (in both pink and white).  I then added a Prima flower on top and added more Maya Road tulle under it.  I then added in a bunch of little gems, a couple of Maya Road pins I colored in black Bic Mark its over the original white pin so they would pop, and then added a #1 on the front for her age, but you could put any number you want. :)


My little model was not too happy to show off her new party hat, as it was dinner time, not that she did not like her hat! Hehe.


She finally let me take a picture without her crying by distracting her with the grass. 

Don't be afraid to think outside the box with your scrappy stuff to make fun things you would have bought anyway.  The hat that gave me inspiration cost $10 at the party store and there was only 1 option to choose from and no age on it just happy birthday.  My hat cost me $6 or less depending on if you used scraps or new ribbons, plus I got to pick the colors I wanted and put her age on it.  I can also pull the little #1 off and replace it with a #2 next year!!

So head on over to Flamingo Scraps they have tons of flowers and trims in lots of colors to pick from to create a little had just like this.

Supplies Used

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Erin, adorable hat, and even more adorable little girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is ADORABLE!!!! I bet you could get a cottage industry going with these!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails