Friday, September 13, 2013

Perfectly pouty and oh, so sweet!

I am quite the penny pincher and frugal scrapper. I love making my own backgrounds with solid-colored cardstocks, mists, texture mediums, and masks. I love, love, love it. It's my favorite part of the entire creation process. If you see me using actual patterned paper as a background, it's a special occasion, indeed, because the backgrounds I can make are usually far more interesting than the ones I can buy. That said, I do have an overabundance of patterned paper, and it can be altered to meet your needs, as well. I have don't many projects turning a piece of patterned paper into a work of art, as well, but there's nothing quite as fulfilling as taking a blank canvas and making it all my own.

I was going through the contents of the Flamingo Scraps Warehouse Box, and let me tell you. As a frugal scrapper, I was so impressed with not only the quantity of items in it, but also the fact that they are all things that give you your money's worth! You can get one with only the fabulous patterned papers the store has stocked. You can get one with all kinds of fun embellishments, as well. Or, if you want some of each, there's an option for that, as well!

Most of my page, below, uses lots of stuff you could possibly receive in a warehouse box, and I received so much, I piled on the clusters to celebrate! It's not something I often do, but I really love it when I'm inspired to do it.  Take a look!


This set of photos from my dear friend, Genie, of her daughter Ellie, were something I was dying to scrap since she gave them to me. As a mother of two boys, finding something girlie is always a challenge, but Genie will always come through with something for me! Isn't that pout just too cute? 


I used lots of different Prima studs on this page, which you might receive in either the combo warehouse box or the embellishments warehouse box. I also used some Studio Calico veneer cameras and Pink Paislee artisan stars that I colored black with Prima Chalk ink. I also used Black Velvet Color Shine to stamp the journaling box! I'd never tried it before, but it works well if you practice a few times to know the right amount of dab to do it. 


I took some gel medium and masked the Prima 12x12 Turkish stencil and then rubbed it with chalk ink to make it stand out a little more. The matte gel dries clear, so it would also be a good way to add a subtle texture to the page without any additional color. 


I layered up on the trim and borders, just because there were so many in the warehouse box that I couldn't decide which to use first! I have a Prima studs border, a Heidi Swapp fringe trim, and a little banner I made out of some washi tape and baker's twine from my own stash. The alpha is slightly tucked into the Heidi Swapp photo book for interest. 


The Heidi Swapp Serendipity Fotostack Book Heart was just perfect to place the extra photos on the page without making the page too busy! I love how her cute little face can peek out of the front!


On the inside, I did minimal embellishing, just because I wanted the album to be able to lay flat. I used some Studio Calico Polaroid-style frames, something you might also find in the warehouse box, just to give the photo its own little spotlight. 


For one final encore, I used a Triumph Stix from Heidi Swapp to complete a page fit for a princess! The crown really was the perfect touch when tucked into the last page of the photo book. 




Supplies used on this page:
Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Black Velvet and Tropicana Teal.
Prima 12x12 Chevron and 12x12 Turkish masks (available via special order).
Prima Chalk Ink in Farmer Jeans, Turquoise Stone, and Black Coal.
Liquitex Medium Matte Gel (available via special order).  
Other: Washi tape, bakers twine, alphabets, cardstock.


5 comments:

  1. Melissa...what a beautiful layout!I have bought a few things to attempt a mixed media page, but after seeing this I need to get serious! Just love it. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! The layers are wonderful. This has inspired me to try to layer. Love the pictures of Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so much fun. I love the background :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning and playful all on the same page.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails